Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Sushi Spin Off

Those who know me know there are some things I am really passionate about, among them you will find Sushi and recycling.
Obviously Sushi can't be recycled, and the temptation to it fresh is leads to eating it. Though I can't eat raw fish, even after years in Japan, and even though the raw food movement is growing steadily… just can’t do it.
It's quite a challenge to find vegetarian Sushi in Japan, especially when you're new at it, as most menus show you only the popular fish variety. It's only when you get to know it that they stop staring at your curly hair (if that what you have, and I do) and let you in on the secrets of inari, tamago yaki, kampyo, kappa maki and the like.
The easiest way to get the sushi you want (while in Japan and searching for vegetarian sushi) was to make it myself. I would not recommend tasting my first attempts, but friends taught me, I practiced and got quite good. These days it's easier, and I even have a friend who teaches sushi in Israel (if you're here, I do recommend her sushi workshops ). Most of the time I just take advantage of any offer to go eat sushi… oiishi desu ne!



Back to the recycling issue, as I guess you'd like to know, I started collecting the Hashi -  the Japanese chopsticks, actually I have a great collection of both hashi and ware-bashi  which are the disposable type. As I prefer to recycle, not dispose of things I thought of something cool to do with them and this is the result:






If you liked this, I invite you to have fun and share with us. Go to my Facebook page and share 
photos of recycled projects you've done with Sushi or Chopsticks. The most popular ones will win a special offer discount for my Etsy Shop! :-) 

All my LoVe,
Hila.